The St. Agatha Church, Lisse, is a three-aisled cruciform Catholic church in neo-Gothic style. Next to the facade is a hexagonal tower. Originally the tower was crowned by a tall spire, but after that one was found to be unstable in 1930 it was replaced by the current one in Baroque style. This church was designed by J.H. van Groenendael from Amsterdam, member of a family of architects (like his brother J.H.H. .nl van Groenendael to whom this church is sometimes attributed), and built by his own construction firm. Despite the poverty of the parishioners an impressive church was built, often dubbed ‘the cathedral of the bulb-region’. Work started in April 1902 and in August 1903 the church was consecrated.
The Architectural Detailing is restrained and docoration is controlled which makes the architecture of the church interesting, without being overstated. The combination of styles; Neo- Gothic with Baroque elements for the church and Jugendstil and Romanesque arches and column for the Parish house. The quite brickwork ties all these various styles together without any of the styles seeming out of place. The styles blend and compliment each other, this is not easy to achive, and shows the depth of understanding of form by the Architect.